So it’s been quite a while since I last posted, and all I can say about that is that 2019 was an unexpectedly busy year. I presented at a conference, BiblioCon 2019, and I’ve uploaded that presentation to this site. This presentation is called ” Low-Cost Usability Testing.” The presentation basically covers how you can improvise usability testing for your website without spending any additional money, and still get meaningful results.
You can check it out, and other presentations I’ve worked on here.
I also blog for my job, but on very different topics. To be honest, a lot of my energy is going into that nowadays. If you’re ever curious about what those posts look like, you can see them all here.
That’s it for now, but I’m hoping to write up more about the presentation, and some research I’m working on this year.
It’s been a while since I posted, but this is the first time I’ve had some free time to sit down and think about things I want to say or share.
When I did usability testing for the redesign of the Boston Public Library website last year, we found that seniors had the most difficulty using the new website. At the time, we didn’t have time to explore much into it. We made the edits we needed based on their feedback, but I wanted to revisit this. Seniors tend to be the demographic group with the most difficulty with technology, and changes. However, they’re also a significant part of the population. I want to make sure as we look forward, we aren’t leaving them behind. Now, we finally have the time to work on this project, so here are a few things I’m reading as I think about how I want to approach this.
Continue reading What I’m Working On/Reading: July 2019
I attended Computers in Libraries this year, for the first time ever, which was exciting for me. Here I’m going to summarize and share the key information I got from each session I attended. You can see all available presentation slides for the presentations here.
Continue reading My Thoughts on Computers in Libraries 2019
Welcome back everyone, and happy new year! I took a break from writing posts during the holidays, as things just got too busy for me. This month’s post was inspired by a conversation with a friend. My friend was looking for guidelines on writing blog posts. She knew I had created guidelines for the blogs we have at the Boston Public Library, but she had trouble finding articles online with this information. The trouble is that most of the information I used, I gathered from sources about writing for the web. So, when she searched for blog guidelines, she didn’t find what I used.
The purpose of this post is to aggregate information on how to write blog posts, as an informal literature review. I will also include my own suggestions in here as well. I’ve broken things down by category, and included these three broad categories: Word Count, Readability, and Accessibility.
Continue reading Blog Post Best Practices: A Literature Review
This post is about doing usability testing on a website for a public library, without a budget for usability testing, or any extra software beyond a simple survey tool and Google Analytics.
So, to start at the beginning, my team completely overhauled our old library website design, and for good reason(s):
- It looked very outdated, because it was basically a lightly modified version of the website we created in the early 2000s.
a. It was all static HTML pages for the most part.
2. The design wasn’t responsive, making it a headache for patrons on mobile or tablet devices, and for staff members trying to help users on mobile or tablet devices.
3. Certain parts of the website were not accessibility compliant.
Those are the biggest reasons for the switch, but as you can imagine, there were a lot of reasons to do it.
Continue reading How to Do Usability Testing Without a Budget